Re: Revised language on: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Alex Hopmann (hopmann@holonet.net)
Sun, 7 May 95 22:10:53 EDT

>(2) for something to go into an IETF RFC, there must be
> [1] multiple independent working interoperating implementations
> [2] rough consensus on the mailing list

Lee,
Not exactelly. Specifically for something to be an IETF "Standard" it has to
have multiple independent working interoperating implementations. It usually
takes about a year to go from first publication as an RFC to actual standard
status (minimum).
The rough consensus on the mail list is always a good idea however,
especially for any RFC that is the creation of a working group.

It occurs to me however that consultation with our area directors might be a
good idea in terms of getting moving on these document charset issues. They
often have a good sense of how the IESG will react to documents that are
sent to them.

Alex Hopmann
ResNova Software, Inc.
hopmann@holonet.net