Re: case sensitivity in tags?

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Tue, 9 May 95 15:57:49 EDT

Paul Grosso writes:
> > From: connolly@w3.org (Dan Connolly)
> >
> > > Is this an SGML problem?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> What is the (perceived) problem? That 8879 (the SGML standard) doesn't
> cover this (which isn't true) or that what it does say needs explaining?

Er... I meant "Yes, this is a problem where the HTML spec inherits
from SGML," not "Yes, this shows some problem with the SGML spec."

For example, you can experiment via the HTML validation service
to see which attribute values are case sensitive and which are not:

http://www.halsoft.com/html-val-svc/

1. <!-- select doctype above... -->
2. <HEAD>
3. <TITLE><!-- your title here --></TITLE>
4. </HEAD>
5. <BODY>
6. <!-- your HTML test data -->
7. <p><a rel=InSeNsItIvE href="sEnSiTiVe">
8. sdf</a>
9. </BODY>
10.

Parsed Output (Element Structure Information Set)

AVERSION CDATA -//IETF//DTD HTML//EN//2.0
(HTML
(HEAD
(TITLE
)TITLE