Re: REL and REV attributes (Was: More comments on HTML 3.0)

Alex Hopmann (hopmann@holonet.net)
Tue, 9 May 95 20:20:21 EDT

On Tues, May 9, 1995 Michael J. Hannah wrote:
>3) Registered list of REV/REL relations
>I prefer the model of Headers in e-mail. A few are registered/fixed
>with defined meanings and use. But others can be added at will using
>the "X-gworp" syntax. Once an "X-" becomes clearly wide-spread and
>useful, it can be standardized to remove the leading "X-"
>That allows a group to propose an RFC for registered/fixed names, but
>also allows expansion/flexibility.

I certainly support having a list of REL and REV values, and I also support
people experimenting with new ones, but I must admit that I question the
value of sticking a "X-" on the beginning of an experimental value. I take
it as a given that software will not fail on encountering a value that it
doesn't support, and if you stick on "X-" on the beginning of experimental
things, it just means you need to change your software once it does get
standardized (Because the act of standardization changes existing practice).

Alex Hopmann
ResNova Software, Inc.
hopmann@holonet.net