Re: Displaying HEAD info

Michael J Hannah (mjhanna@sandia.gov)
Thu, 11 May 95 18:00:53 EDT

> From: "Ron Daniel Jr." <rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov>

> Thus spoke weibel@oclc.org: (at least on May 11 at 12:19pm)

> > I have no objection to allowing users access to HEAD information, as
> > long as the default is to suppress its display.

> I *strongly* support Stu's position on this.

> As for displaying <head> info, is there some problem with using

Yes, three. 1) there are browsers that do not provide "view source",
2) the standard does not specify that HEAD information be accessible
to the *human* viewer, 3) often "view source" provides too much.

I am not proposing that HEAD info be displayed as part of the document.
I agree that it should NOT be displayed as part of the document.

But I think it SHOULD be viewable by the user, _IF_ they want to see it.
If it is worth including, it is worth ensuring that the *human* can
easily view it, in addition to the *browser*. The current standard
does not _ensure_ that.

Michael