Re: Revised language on: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Gavin Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Sat, 13 May 95 23:18:32 EDT

>> At least here in Japan, the number of such people are dwindling
>> (though still significant).
>
>And it is exactly this "significant" number that I worry about. This
>isn't the ISO or ANSI. This is the IETF, and the IETF doesn't

I should note that this significant number is still small, and sadly,
the networked people seem to be the most vocal (so this group actually
appears far larger than it really is, simply because it makes so much
noise). People in *business*, like publishers etc. accept ISO 10646
quite readily once you explain the ideas, and *they* are reputed to be
the most conservative people around (they certainly are regarding
kinsoku etc. anyway).

Interestingly, not one native Japanese has commented on the
multilingual issue in the mailing list.