Re: HTML 2.0 LAST CALL: Hyperlinking, Forms, Elements

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Fri, 2 Jun 95 18:34:15 EDT

"Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org> wrote:

> *** June 2 interim draft ***

> I've integrated a buch of comments into an interim draft. I'm starting
> to work on getting the headers and footers right and junk like that
> now. I'll have an RFC-editor-happy version in a few days (headers,
> footers, and all, right Joe?).

Yep; just point me to the SGML source.

> Here's the change log for the June 2 draft:
>
> Date: Friday Jun 2 4:00:00 1995

> * Moved XMP, LISTING from Obsolete appendix to Block section,
> to match DTD. Changed CDATA discussion from "not used"
> to "deprecated." Moved DFN, U, STRIKE from Obsolete
> to notes.
> [...]
> * subordinated XMP, LISTING under PRE

Yipes! Could you move them back again?

CDATA declared content is PURE EVIL, and I'd like to
see <XMP> and <LISTING> pushed as far away as possible
from the other more respectable block elements.

Calling them "deprecated" is not strong enough for me.
They were "obsolete" as of May 31, and I *strongly urge* that
they stay that way until HTML 2.1, when they should
be eliminated altogether.

--Joe English

joe@art.com