Re: Implied NAME attribute for INPUT tag?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Thu, 15 Jun 95 15:02:12 EDT

In message <19950614.76B22B8.EE36@contessa.phone.net>, Mike Meyer writes:

>I.e. - the NAME attribute isn't required, but the application should
>be able to generate one if it's missing.
>
>The discussion of form submission (7.2) points out that you can leave
>out NULL values, and in fact requires that in some cases (7.2.1, point 2).
>
>Is the DTD wrong - should NAME be required? If it's not wrong, then
>the RFC should say something about what the implied value should be. I
>have no idea what happens in current browsers if you leave out the
>name field.

This question was raised and addressed in this forum very
recently:

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/HTML_WG/html-wg-95q2.messages/1232.html
Re: How do you include a <INPUT TYPE="IMAGE"> to work?
Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Thu, 8 Jun 95 10:52:53 EDT

In short: the prose has been revised to state that NAME is required
except in the case of TYPE=SUBMIT or TYPE=RESET.

Dan