Re: Attempt at HTML 2.1 (tables)

Bert Bos (bert@let.rug.nl)
Mon, 26 Jun 95 07:07:18 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 03:05p 06/22/95, Bert Bos wrote:
> >Compared to HTML 3, I've changed the names of ALIGN and VALIGN to
> >COLALIGN and ROWALIGN and reduced the value of COLALIGN to a single
> >letter. This way all three levels TABLE, TR and TH/TD have the same
> >attributes.
>
> Why? IMG already uses ALIGN, so why create yet another attribute for
> horizontal alignment? (See thread "METHODS and TITLE".)

The difference is that ALIGN on IMG sets the alignment of the IMG element
itself, while COLALIGN on TABLE sets the alignment of the cells within the
table. In fact, I suspect that there will eventually be an ALIGN attribute on
TABLE as well, analogous to IMG, to position the table itself.

> In that case, I hope everyone (UA) implements style sheets soon... ;)

It may not take that long. We already have Arena, Emacs W3, my Argo
(unreleased) and Panorama. The problem is that they don't yet use the same
syntax.

Bert