Re: SUMMARY: Running X/Mosaic from behind a firewall

"Jason B. Bluming" <jbluming@yoyo.eit.com>
To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu>
Cc: Colin.Panisset@nms.otc.com.au (Colin Panisset), www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch,
        jbluming@yoyo.eit.com
Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Running X/Mosaic from behind a firewall
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 13:31:02 -0700
From: "Jason B. Bluming" <jbluming@yoyo.eit.com>

I've done some work with this idea already, though I used servicemail
services as intermediaries.  Basically, when xmosaic would normally do
a GET, it instead sends an email message requesting that the servicemail
server retrieve the document.  The server is also given a unique hash (MD5)
for the url being retrieved and sends the file to the local servicemail
process (on the xmosaic client machine) which stores the incoming data in
a spool directory under the hash name.  Thus, repeated lookups (or multiple
client lookups) have access to already retrieved data.  Using this scheme,
demos for at sites w/o stable net hookups could be done by pre-retrieving
those documents to be used in the demo.

This also brings about other issues, however.  Since we have this ability,
and its associated overhead, should a pre-fetch facility also be developed?
If so how much should be prefetched (ie. how many or what type of child of
the current document are most likely to be needed or most time-consuming to
fetch?).  What kind of "reaper" program should be used to keep the local
file spool within reason (LRU, LFU, hardest-to-load, etc...)?

			Jason Bluming
	      Enterprise Integration Technology
                      jbluming@eit.com

(415) 617 - 8018 (office)    |    459 Hamilton Avenue
      617 - 8019 (fax)       |    Palo Alto, CA 94301