Re: Crawling info displays and slide shows

Rich Wiggins <WIGGINS@msu.edu>
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 93 17:18:48 EDT
From: Rich Wiggins <WIGGINS@msu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Crawling info displays and slide shows
To: Charles Henrich <henrich@rs560.cl.msu.edu>, www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
>> Updates of the same UFL could be done via a
>>
>>     <A HREF="blah" FREQ=300>
>>
>> to fetch again every five minutes.  Then we could have
>>
>>     <A REL="IsNext" FREQ=20 HREF="blah">
>>
>> to fetch in 20 seconds, the next frame in a page.
>Attributes such as frequency really do not belong in the actual HTML files.  It
>is much easier (and cleaner) to write a seperate shell script/program that uses
>the remove display capabilities of Mosaic to fetch the appropriate pages when
>the need arises.  I think someone even posted a program here awhile back to do
>just that.

Hmmm.   It seems to me that the goal is to provide a new kind of document --
one that includes as part of the document transitions to new pages,
for passive reading by readers who might be distributed all over the
place.  I can see how you could automate a slide show for one station
using remote control, which solves the immediate case, but what you
want is a general way to "play" this sort of program to any readers
who want to click on the relevant start button.

Ie it seems to me that it's perfectly reasonable for FREQ to be a
candidate HTML tag.  It's a new sort of attribute for a document,
extending the document metaphor a bit beyond what's done with paper.
(But I agree that if Hytime or something else has tackled this it'd
make sense to look at the other examples.)

/rich