Re: Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl script

waterbug@epims1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Steve Waterbury)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 13:23:35 --100
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: waterbug@epims1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Steve Waterbury)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl script

Tim BL writes:

> Another possibility is to use

> 	MIT AI lab events, including seminars, conferences, and tours
>
> which has the advantage that it can be nested:

> ... [omissions] ...  I am comparing it here with
>
> 	<author>
> 	    <name>Jane Doe</name>
> 	    <email>jd@weird.com</memail>
> 	    <urn>/people/1967/us/va/12437234hgj3246h</urn>
> 	</author>

Agree with the desire for flexibility, but it might be good to
have certain frequently used data structures "standardized", such
as personal information.  I don't know if the Internet Drafts for
"SGML-based Hierarchical Attribute/Value Encoding (SHAVE)"
(draft-adie-spci-00.*) and "SGML-based Personal Contact Information
(SPCI)" (draft-adie-shave-00.*) are still being seriously
considered (they are due to expire April 1994), but they seemed
like a good approach.

In particular, the SPCI document proposed an actual DTD for Personal
Contact Information.

Steve Waterbury.
                                           oo _\o
                                            \/\ \
                                              /
"Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug."
- Knopfler