Re: Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl

Chris Adie <CJA@ml0.ucs.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 14:08:28 --100
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: Chris Adie <CJA@ml0.ucs.edinburgh.ac.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl
Steve Waterbury writes:
> Agree with the desire for flexibility, but it might be good to
> have certain frequently used data structures "standardized", such
> as personal information.  I don't know if the Internet Drafts for
> "SGML-based Hierarchical Attribute/Value Encoding (SHAVE)"
> (draft-adie-spci-00.*) and "SGML-based Personal Contact Information
> (SPCI)" (draft-adie-shave-00.*) are still being seriously
> considered (they are due to expire April 1994), but they seemed
> like a good approach.

I've had some good feedback about these docs, and was going to write up
the changes and update the internet drafts.  Just havn't had time yet.
I forgot they were about to expire - thanks for reminding me.

There was some interest in this (and in an alternative called STIF/PCI
by Dave Crocker) at a MIME-types BOF at Houston IETF.  Unfortunately I
was at another conference and couldn't attend.  There was some interest in
forming an IETF working group to take things forward, but nothing seems
to have happened.

Regards,

Chris Adie                                   Phone:  +44 31 650 3363
Edinburgh University Computing Service       Fax:    +44 31 662 4809
University Library, George Square            Email:  C.J.Adie@edinburgh.ac.uk
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ, United Kingdom