Re: Indexing the List of Lists

bajan@bunyip.com (Alan Emtage)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 16:40:55 --100
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: bajan@bunyip.com (Alan Emtage)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Indexing the List of Lists
Hi Rob,

> Alan Emtage writes regarding Lists of Lists:
> >... I don't believe that manual maintenance of this kind of data
> >is feasible any longer.... the Internet is now too big for this kind of
> >thing.
> I strongly suggest that a first step in any effort of this kind must be
> the definition of exactly what we are trying to collect information on
> because the issues of indexing vs. the generation of a 'table of
> contents' are very different indeed.

[...as you can see I'm a little behind on my mail...]

Perhaps some clarification of what I said may show that we're in
agreement. Some people have taken what I wrote to mean that computers
would _catalog_ the data rather I meant that computers should gather and
index the data and at at that point humans can then come in and further
refine it into information (there being a difference between "data" and
"information"). The inital cataloging step will have to be done by humans
for the foreseeable future. I agree that the scattershot approach is
going to give us a lot of noise and little signal.

--
-Alan

Alan Emtage,				"The Left in Canada is more gauche
Bunyip Information Systems,		 than sinister"
Montreal, CANADA			 -The Economist

bajan@bunyip.com
Voice: +1 (514) 875-8611		Fax: +1 (514) 875-8134