Re: HR and RE

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Mon, 15 May 95 21:03:20 EDT

Jonsm@aol.com wrote:

> Should the display from these two sequences be the same or different?

[ <HR><HR><HR>... vs. <HR>'s on separate lines ]

> In the second case the RE's translates to spaces:
> <HR> <HR> <HR> <HR>

With %HTML.Recommended; turned on, the RE's and other whitespace
between body-level elements will be ignored. Otherwise,
it sounds like a "quality of implementation" issue.

(%HTML.Recomended; makes %body.content; element content instead of
mixed content, so a lot of problems with unwanted whitespace go away.
Needless to say, you shouldn't count on most current browsers
honoring this.)

> This is related to the problem of:
> <P>
> paragraph text
>
> In this case the paragraph text gets a leading space inserted which needs to
> be removed.

That shouldn't be happening at all: the first record-end
in an element is supposed to be ignored if it's not preceded
by other content. (I think this very case may be part of the
rationale behind that bizarre rule.)

--Joe English

joe@art.com