Dexterm Model [was: HTML 2.0 LAST CALL: Hyperlinking, Forms, Elements (fwd) ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Fri, 2 Jun 95 10:51:19 EDT

In message <9506020944.aa11868@dali.scocan.sco.COM>, Murray Maloney writes:
>Daniel W. Connolly writes:
>> After Tim
>> reviewed the document, we agreed this section should follow the
>> Desxter model.

I should have said "go back to following the Dexter model."

>What is the Desxter model?

It's a frequently-cited model for describing hypertext -- pretty much
conventional by now. It defines the terms link, anchor, node, ...

> C'mon Dan, get hip, get cool!
>Provide a reference. :->

In fact, I went through the excercise of surfing for a reference
just last night. It's in the June 2 (interim, unpublished) draft.
Dunno why I didn't send it to you.

[DEXTER]
Frank Halasz and Mayer Schwartz, "The Dexter Hypertext Reference
Model", "Communications of the ACM", pp. 30-39, vol. 37 no. 2, Feb
1994,

I couldn't find that article online. But for some related articles,
try this query from the Harvest/Verity C.S. tech reports broker:

http://harvest.cs.colorado.edu/Harvest/cgi-bin/VerityQuery.pl.cgi?query=Dexter+Model&op=NEAR&descflag=on&opaqueflag=on&csumflag=on&maxresultflag=50&host=harvest.cs.colorado.edu%3A8505&brokerqueryconfig=cstech.cf

For example, it returns:

ftp://ftp.cs.unibo.it/pub/TR/UBLCS/93-05.ps.gz
Some Modifications to the Dexter Model for the
Formal Description of Hypertexts
Sauro Lamberti Cesare Maioli Fabio Vitali
Technical Report UBLCS-93-5
April 1993
Laboratory for Computer Science
University of Bologna
Piazza di Porta S. Donato, 5
40127 Bologna (Italy)

Abstract

The Dexter model is the most complete and general formal model of
hypertext systems. Although, the composite concept that it formalizes
can not allow all kinds of inclusions. In this paper we show a
modification of the Dexter model that, through the anchor concept, can
model the handling of generic inclusions easily and validly. We also
show how our modifications form an extension of the Dexter model,
which can still be obtained as a restriction of the modified model.

Dan