Re: HTML 2.0 Tidbits

Bruce Kahn/Iris (Bruce_Kahn/Iris.IRIS@iris.com)
Fri, 2 Jun 95 12:03:44 EDT

On 6/1/95 Dan Connoly wrote:
>elements, usually in pairs.

Sounds good.

>in the description of the IMG element:

>|as an alternative to processing the image resource indicated by the
>|<attr/SRC/ attribute.
>
>and in the attribute list:
>
><tli>ALT: text to use in place of the referenced image resource, for
>example due to processing constraints or user preference.

Ditto.

>> On the same topic, since only a SRC attribute is required for an IMG
element,
>>shouldnt the description of ISMAP be changed to :
>>
>>ISMAP
>> Optional attribute that indicates that the image is an image map (see
>>section Image Maps).
>
>That info is in the DTD. I took out most of the stuff that discussed
>syntax in the whole "Document Structure" section. I don't really want
>to start putting it back in.

I think that just adding the words "Optional attribute that" in front of the
existing text would be sufficient and consistant with other 'optional'
attrubite descriptions. I can live with it the way it stands though...

>>However under the description of LINK, there is no explicit mention of just
how

>Agreed. How about:

>refid=hyperlink>). It has the same attributes as the <tag/A/ element
>(see <hdref refid=a>).

>related indexes and glossaries, older or more recent versions,
>stylesheets, document hierarchy etc.

Looks good.

>>On the Forms page
>>(http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_7.html), the
>>description of the FORM element no longer says what will happen if there is no
>>
>>SUBMIT (or INPUT TYPE=IMAGE) inputs on a form. In the past, this was
>>explicitly a no-no but this appears to no longer be the case. When was this
>>changed and why?
>
>I dunno, really. What did it used to say? (and where? I'm looking at
>old versions and I can't find it.)

This was on an old list in my mailbox dated Sep 2, '94 (the mail msg, no date
on the text) so Im assuming its from a loooong time ago. It was probably
based in part (inference?) from the text "When a form consists of a single text
field, it may be appropriate to leave such buttons out and rely on the Enter
key." Given the current text on Form Submission, this is a non-issue now.
Should have filtered it before asking...

>>In the first paragraph under the heading FORM you wrote:
>How about:
>and action URI. A form data set is a sequence of name/value pair
>fields. The names are specified on the <attr/NAME/ attributes of form
>input elements, and the values are given initial values by various
>forms of markup and edited by the user. The resulting form data set is
>used to access an information service as a function of the action and
>method.

Sounds good.

It appears we are are almost there in a rough concensus on the rest of the
topics (then again Id bet something else may pop up at the last second)...

Bruce