Re: <XMP> and <LISTING>, declared content (Was Re: HTML 2.0 LAST CALL: ...)

Ian Graham (igraham@utirc.utoronto.ca)
Mon, 5 Jun 95 10:11:49 EDT

How about a paragraph like:

XMP and LISTING are obsolete elements, present in the DTD for
backwards compatibility only. User agents should support these legacy
elements, but should not encourage their use. Thus HTML editors should be
able to process legacy documents containing XMP or LISTING elements, but
should not support the insertion of new XMP or LISTING elements. Document
authors are reminded that new HTML documents should never contain elements
marked as obsolete.

(perhaps obsolete --> obsolescent. )
Ian