Re: http server which returns "charset:" correctly

Bob Jung (bobj@netscape.com)
Wed, 7 Jun 95 13:33:32 EDT

Netsite 1.1 supports this feature.

You can configure any file or directory with a MIME charset that will be
included in the Content-Type HTTP header. Configuring a directory applies
recursively to its contents.

With the server administration software, this is really easy to set-up. In
the first page of the configuration "menu", the last link is the one you
need to click. From there, it's fairly intuitive.

There are 2 cases when Netsite 1.1 will send the charset parameter:
(1) if the client is Netscape Navigator 1.1 or higher
(2) the client sent the "Accept-Charset: " accept header.

We restrict it to the above, so we won't break existing non-Navigator 1.1
browsers that cannot grok charset.

This should be very convenient for web sites that have whole sub-trees in a
non-Latin1 character encoding. It's a bit cumbersome for a content
developer without server administration privileges,
but that needs to be solved by HTML tags...

BTW, Netsite 1.1 is available for a free test drive:

http://home.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/index.html

Regards,
Bob

--
Bob Jung        bobj@netscape.com       +1 415 528-2688, fax +1 415 528-4122
Netscape Communications Corp.   501 E. Middlefield      Mtn View, CA   94041